GuidelinesGuidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   BookmarksBookmarks    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wondering what to buy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stream

i:Vibes Admin

Vibes: 328.47

Member #: 1

Post Post subject: Wondering what to buy Reply with quote

As I'm soon turning 30 it's time to think of an upgrade of my hifi-equipment. My current setup is 15 years old so it's ready for renewal.

I was first thinking of a standard 2 channel hifi-setup but have now changed my mind and will get a 5.1/5.0 surround setup for the living room.

My budget is just under £1000 and I need an av-amplifier and speakers.

Been in a few stores and read a lot on the internet but I'm having problems deciding what to buy. Especially the speakers.

A few days ago I decided to go for a Pioneer VSX-915-S amplifier because of a nice price and good test results. But yesterday I became aware of an upgraded version, the VSX-916-S with the possibility to mount usb-sticks/drives to it. Clearly an advantage that I will most probably wait a few more weeks for.

When it comes to speakers I've looked at quite a few. Cerwin Vega, Canton, Gale, JBL, Infinity, B&W, Jamo, KEF, Proson, Dynavision and Dali. Since I'm on a tight budget it rules out a few of them allready, and I'm left with Cerwin Vega, Gale (british), Proson (swedish), Dynavision (swedish) and Dali (danish).

I've had a listen to all of them except Dynavision (they are only sold in Falkenberg, Sweden). The Dali's (Dali Concept 6, Concept 1 and Center) are most costy but they sound really well. Their drawback is the lack of deep bass. Because of their price I cannot afford a sub for them either.

The Cerwin Vegas have a really heavy punch and deep bass (even without a subwoofer) but I think it lacks a bit in overall quality. They are probably the cheapest option though - perhaps alongside Dynavision if I buy them without a subwoofer.

The others are sounding nice with a subwoofer, but not quite as good and detailed as the Dali's.

So the question is, which one of these setups should I choose?

Any of you got any suggestions?
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:56 pm
davehart

Vibes: 563.92

Member #: 910

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

I've currently got a Sony AMP, CD player and a very decent set of Technics speakers but if you've a grand to play with you can get some more of the hi end kit.

Arcam are pretty good in the amplifier range, I've had experience with those in the past and they are solid bits of kit.

Speaker wise, I dont think you need DJ Monitors or that stuff. You could go for surround sound but to be honest I've never been that keen on those systems. EPOS do some realy nice looking and sounding systems. For the best sound though I'd get an amp that more of less matches the speaker ste your getting.

I always like my sound a bit punchy, not muffled which is the general sound you get when using SUbs so I;d personnaly not have a sub, just some very good quality three way speakers.

Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:33 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stream

Vibes: 328.47

Member #: 1

Ok, today I've bought myself a Pioneer VSX-915S surround receiver. Later today I will most probably buy the Dali Concept surround-speaker-set without a sub.

The Dali Concept 6 is a 2,5 way speaker with 2x6.5" bass/midrange elements. Will probably not get the deepest bass with those but it will have to do for now.

I've also looked at other amplifiers from Yamaha, Harman/Kardon, Denon and NAD - but decided to go for the Pioneer. It's cheapest, got lots of functions (except on-screen display) and a very nice looking programmable remote control.

Almost went for the Yamaha 657 when I was in the store earlier today as they had cut the price a bit - but its remote is extremely ugly. Razz
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:42 am
7528620xs

Vibes: 0.53

Member #: 68,386

I was first thinking of a standard 2 channel hifi-setup but have now changed my mind and will get a 5.1/5.0 surround setup for the living room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ed hardy jeans/ed hardy perfume/ed hardy shoes
Post rating: 0 Rate this post: Not logged in PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [i:Vibes] Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: