Before WMC & UMF, ahead of the White Isle heat-up or the summer’s festivalism, here’s where the starting gun sounds! Having established itself as the first key event of the annual club calendar, the titanic Utrecht-based Energy event is the launch point for each new beats/bass/synth-packed EDM year...
ID&T’s Energy offers clued-up music lovers their first encounter with the sound-designs Europe’s top production tier will be sending their way over the coming 12 months. The cream of the established world-class production minds, the scene’s most forward-thinking remixologists, the newest, hottest studio stars of tomorrow - they’re all gathered here… for 'Energy 2012’ – The ALBUM!
With their finely-tuned A&R radars scanning studios near daily, ID&T & Be Yourself Music sign the tracks that capture the essence of the event straight off the mixing desks. Their 2012 edition has sourced music from heavyweight operators like Tiësto, Fedde le Grand, John Dahlbäck, Marco V and Marcel Woods, as well as nu-skool heroes including Hardwell, Dada Life, Jochen Miller, Chris Lake and Funkagenda. It also selects speaker-heating sonics from the prospecting superstars of tomorrow, Nicky Romero, Deniz Koyu, Manuel De La Mare among them.
Every event of significant standing requires an official anthem and every mix-comp needs a big kick-off. This year’s Energy’s theme is served by Dutch whirlwind Hardwell. Following his runaway success over the last 12 months, he springboards into 2012 with ‘Cobra’. Fulfilling all the requirements of an anthem mandate, it’s a huge, bass-powered, squelch ‘n’ distort fest, topped by a wickedly infectious, irresistible organ mainline. Continuing to mine a rich seam of music, chasing ‘Cobra’s heels are the marching drums of Denzal Park’s ‘Militia’, Ted Nilsson’s floor-quake ‘Runaway’ and the cultured big-room appeal of Fedde le Grand & Patric la Funk’s ‘Autosave’ - all of which nitro-inject the mix. Further hardcoding the event’s DNA, you’ll also find Dahlbäck’s high-wire tense ‘Feel It’, the weekender-aimed anthem ‘Work Hard, Play Hard’ from Tiësto and Dada Life’s deliciously looping (and loopy!) ‘Cookies With A Smile’.
From its outset, disc 2 sets about securing Energy’s tougher, funkier credentials and ensures those quotas are kept sky-high! Building more house rhythms into the mix are EDX’s ‘D.A.N.C.E.’, the warped bass of Chris Lake & Michael Woods’ ‘Domino’s and the big piano drop moment of Jerome Isma-Ae and Daniel Portman’s ‘Flashing Lights’. The mix’s midpoint turns loose the first-time collaboration of Marco V and Marcel Woods. The team behind ‘Scream’ have watched a litany of DJs rally to their track’s cause, turning it into one of 2012’s first must-haves. As the disc reaches its conclusion, the nu-skool performs a takeover.
The electro-bounce of Joey Suki’s ‘Zomp’, Ostbahnhof & Ugo Platana’s ‘Evensong’ (in its drum-dramatic Michael Woods remix form) and the hard-grooving uprush of ‘Anima’ - Tim Mason’s album endgame collectively, conclusively seal ‘Energy’s audio-ideology.
Every bit your gateway to spring’s arena season (and far beyond), ID&T’s ‘Energy 2012 – The Album’ is a future-perfect vision of the pulse-quickening floor anthems coming our way this year. Forward thinking dance denizens, buckle up and get your clubbing shoes on! Things are going to get a whole lot fiercer before they gets any calmer!
* ENERGY takes place on Saturday March 3rd, 2012 at Jaarbeurs, Utrecht, with Tiësto, Fedde le Grand, Eric Prydz, Sander van Doorn, Hardwell, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, John Dahlbäck and many more. More information and tickets are available via EnergyTheNetwork.com
01. Hardwell - Cobra (Official Energy Anthem 2012) (Original Mix)
02. Denzal Park - Militia (Third Party & Mike Klash Remix)
03. Quintino - We're Gonna Rock
04. Qulinez - Troll
05. Ted Nilsson – Runway (Sonny Wharton Remix)
06. Leventina - Revolution (Original Mix)
07. Fedde le Grand & Patric la Funk - Autosave
08. John Dahlbäck - Feel It
09. Flippers - Aroma
10. Inpetto - No More Serious Faces
11. Manuel De La Mare & Alex Kenji - Acid As 303
12. Moguai - Mpire
13. Tiësto feat. Kay - Work Hard, Play Hard
14. Jochen Miller - Flashback (Grégori Klosman Remix)
15. Dada Life - Cookies With A Smile
16. Tommy Trash - Cascade
17. Deniz Koyu - Hertz
18. Funkagenda - Shinjuku (Michael Woods Remix)
01. EDX - D.A.N.C.E.
02. Chris Lake & Michael Woods - Domino’s
03. Riktam & Bansi - Copying You
04. Cliff Coenraad - Whoopa
05. Jerome Isma-Ae & Daniel Portman feat. Max'C - Flashing Lights (Nicky Romero & Nilson Remix)
06. Paul Thomas - Buzz Killington
07. Nathan C - Shmoke de Pancake
08. Marco V & Marcel Woods - Scream
09. Dyro - Metaphor
10. Filo & Peri - What You Came Here For
11. Sebastian Krieg & Andrew Bennett - Azure
12. Jake Shanahan feat. Tyler Sherritt - On The Otherside
13. Marcus S. - Fruits & Vegetables
14. Joey Suki - Zomp
15. Helvetic Nerds - To The Sky (Original Mix)
16. Ido Shoam - Do What I Think
17. Ostbahnhof & Ugo Platana - Evensong (Michael Woods Remix)
18. Tim Mason – Anima
RELEASE DATE: 2nd March